Note: I didn’t get paid for doing this review, it’s just based on my own experiences
I spent a ton of time looking up companies that make kids shoes that are nontoxic and this one which makes shoes in Oregon is one of the best. I’ve ordered Jack two pairs of these adorable shoes from Soft Star shoes which are nontoxic leather without formaldehyde. I love how eco friendly the company is. Not only is their leather safely processed, but when I emailed them for more information about it they said:
Our leather is a by-product of the meat industry but we take every effort to use all of the leather (scraps for craft projects, schools, etc). We have a philosophy to “walk lightly” on the earth and we do everything in our shop to do that.
I debated getting vegan shoes, but they are basically made from petroleum which is not eco friendly or safe for children.
Here are some pros and cons:
- They look like old fashioned adorable moccasins
- The laces make them adjustable (more than shoes with elastic which didn’t fit Jack well)
- They are pretty weather safe for rainy days
- The company has many options such as sandals, shoes with elastic or velcro, and boots
- You can choose from a large array of colors
- They are hand made in the USA
- The company makes shoes for babies through adults
- The laces take longer to tie up than shoes with velcro or elastic
- They are a little pricey (this version is $30, but others are $40+)
- For Jack, the shoes were too easy to pull off, so I punched some extra holes and fixed the problem, but I’m sure that depends on the baby (Jack has pretty chubby ankles so things slide off his feet easily)
- The soles are flexible but not as flexible as 100% leather shoes, so I think these are best for children, not 1st shoes for babies. The company makes other all leather moccasins that have elastic closure that would be better for babies because they are super flexible, although maybe less weather resistant.